Sunday, November 16, 2008

Obama Understands Our Environmental Problem: "We can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house."

Newsweek picked up this off-the-record comment by Senator Obama prior to the debates:

"I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

The beauty of this unscripted, honest response to climate change is that it demonstrates that Barack Obama isn't just about the superficial, pop-media responses to the crisis, he has a deeper understanding of the work we have in front of us. He realizes that this isn't something that a few token efforts will solve, it will require sweeping changes in how we live, how we utilize energy and our resources, and massive changes in our fuel and energy infrastructure. He knows that it's not about the effing light bulbs.

via treehugger.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter
BodenDiscount Codes